Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Budget

Do you ladies have a budget system in your home? Do you like it? Well, we have been doing the envelope system for a a while now. I did not want to do it. I felt like I would be "enslaved to the budget" as I not-so-submissively told my sweet husband. I mean, I have plans for how we are going to spend our money. We just bought a house in March and there are things that I "NEED" to do. But I have been doing it now for quite a while...and I like it. It has actually given me much more freedom. David has been sooo good to make an envelope for EVERYTHING. Like, I have a "play money" envelope. With that, I can take the kids to various places during the week without feeling like I am spending too much and dealing with the guilt. When the envelope is empty, as it is right now:), I know that we can't do anything "extra" until we get paid again. It has made me so much more disciplined with our money. Before the budget, I wouldn't even make a list to go grocery shopping. Who needs a list? Aren't you supposed to just stroll down every aisle and throw whatever you think you need at that moment into your cart? I guess not. That way gets you into a little shock when the person at the check-out tells you your total. Wow...groceries can be expensive. Now, I have a list. I haven't clipped coupons yet, but the list is a start for me. I try to beat the budget. It is kind of like a game for my overly competitive mind. And the "stuff" for our house? Well, when you stick to the budget there are monies left over:) It may take longer than I would like to have our house look like it does in my mind, but I am sure it will be worth it when it gets there.
A budget, seemingly bonding, but oh so freeing!

3 comments:

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

YES...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the envelope system. Of course my envelopes are quickly emptied but it does work. Although, I had my purse stolen once when I was still working and over $200 in envelope $$$ was stolen. That's the only drawback is carrying around cash.

Nat Pat said...

i totally agree! we've been on the envelope system now for about three years and LOVE it. it is so freeing.

kittyhox said...

Okay, I'm intrigued by this envelope system idea. I'm going to have to think about trying it!

:)